Years ago, when I was about 13, I went to the Oregon Coast with my 8th grade class. We pulled up to Beacon Rock and were told that we could hike to the top. I didn't want any part of it. I sat in the bus and watched while nearly everyone took off to conquer 51 switch backs. There was probably only about 4 of us that stayed behind.
Jeff was floored when I told him that I didn't hike it and wanted to know why in the world I would just sit on the bus. Thinking back, I told him what I know now about myself but didn't know then. I am afraid of failure. If I do something I want to do it well or not at all. I wanted to be up in front and have everyone impressed with how in shape I was. I didn't want to do it if I was gonna be in the back with all the stragglers. He told me that he probably wouldn't have liked me much back then. I told him that if he'd had been there and I'd actually hiked it he probably would have gone up and back down before I would've made it to the top. He wouldn't have noticed me anyway. I also think that I was lazy and really insecure.
I still do not like failure. I don't like to mess up. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say! But today I like to push myself and I realize that I don't want to look back and regret not doing things because I was too afraid to mess up. So... we got out of the car and did all 51 switch backs. We hiked it together. It was actually not that bad. Now I can say I did it. It was so acceleratingly and absolutely gorgeous. The weather was perfect and it was fun to be there with Jeff. He actually pulled me up some of it. I hope I can apply this experience in other areas of my life. There are still plenty
of things that I would like to do that I talk myself out of.




Congrats on doing it! I love a good hike or something that really gets me going.
ReplyDeleteHey Kim.. I like your blog. I added you as a link, you should view our blog at http://www.boycerulez.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI'll check out your site from time to time.
Jessica
Good job on the hike. It is beautiful! I know what you mean about failure..it is difficult. Darn us blue personalities!
ReplyDelete